Many of us do not have the opportunity to go home from work during lunchtime. The best way to ensure that your lunch will be healthy and safe – and a lot less expensive than eating out – is by preparing your own and bringing it to work. It’s also portable; you can take your lunch to the break room, outside for a picnic or to a nearby park where you can walk around and fit in some physical activity!
- Plan your lunches; keep food stuffs on-hand for quick and easily preparation
- Make lunches the night before when you have more time; refrigerate if necessary, prior to taking the next day
- Have containers for soups, sandwiches, salads, fruit, veggies, grains and other foods ; this will allow for more options so your lunches don’t become boring
- “Spice it up” with gourmet condiments
- Microwave gives lots of choice flexibility, if you have one at work; if not, explore the possibility of purchasing one, possibly by employees sharing the cost
- Make sure to keep certain foods cold; if there’s no refrigerator at work, use an insulated lunch bag and cold pack
- Bon Appetit!